Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brandi Carlile

There are few musicians out there that I can say they truly changed my life.  Well, tonight it happened.
Tonight I saw my favorite female singer songwriter, Brandi Carlile.  I have been very excited about this for a while.  But I honestly had no idea I would walk away with the feeling that I did.  I was totally captivated.  Words cant even begin to describe how amazing this show was.  It's one of those "you had to be there" deals.  I wish to goodness that this whole experience could have been captured on film.

Her voice is 100% flawless.  Her lyrics and delivery are flawless as well.
It was a performance that I'll never forget.

She first comes out on stage with her band and they do an acapella number.
Later on Brandi brings her little sister, Tiffany, out on stage with her.  Apparently the whole family is musical.  Her mother is a country singer.  And her sister is a hairstylist that tours with Brandi (to do her hair) occasionally.
Then she announces that she has a surprise for us.  Charlotte was one of only two cities that they were filming a video for.  She and her band members step out to the very edge of the stage, completely unplugged, no microphone, and they perform "Dying Day".  It was unreal.
Brandi then does a few covers including "Mad World", "The Times They Are A-Changin" by Dylan, and some Johnny Cash.
She came out for a third encore saying she's "never done this" (meaning come out once again to play one more song).  She performed a breathtaking version of "Hallelujah". 

She also talked about how Elton (Sir Elton) taught her so many things when he collaborated with her on her most recent album. One interesting thing was that he was asking her what music she has been listening to lately.  She told him Patsy Cline, and named a few others that I dont remember.  He kept asking her if she had heard of this band and that band.  And she said no to most of them.
He told her that it's important to appreciate the timelessness of music as it is happening right now.
And that while the classics are timeless, you already know those and have those in your heart.  But if you dont seek out new music, then you wont discover the timelessness of what is right now.
It was really a very interesting point of view that I hadn't even thought about.
So, leading from that, Elton John introduced Brandi to new music, like Kings of Leon.

 I was so touched by this performance tonight. There were moments when my jaw was just dropped open.  I was so in awe and still am.

It's 2am and I have work in the morning.  But I felt I had to write my thoughts down now so that I wouldn't forget them.
Brandi Carlile is right there with Paul and Athenaeum.  Her music has affected me so deeply that it's literally changed my life.
Breathtaking, captivating, inspiring, unbelievable.

"you cant be something you're not
life is not a looking glass
dont get tangled in your past
like i am learning not to"


Here's one of the shots I got from the night:

1 comment: